- Telluride is definitely one of my favorite things about 2012. It was a perfect escape for David and I after my surgery and the chaos that surrounded my ectopic pregnancy. It was a peaceful weekend full of good food, deep conversations, pretty pictures, breathtaking sunsets, gondola rides and healing. Telluride is what put me on the road towards healing. It’s the place that restored some peace to my heart and brought David and I closer than ever. That and it’s incredible beautiful there! The entire area stole my heart!
- My family was incredible this year. They have been so so so supportive, I don’t know what we’d do without them! David and I were able to spend so much quality time with them, from Broncos games to impromptu dinners to shopping trips with my sis. There is nothing more important to us than our families and it makes my heart happy that they all live within 60 minutes of our home. One of my favorite moments was watching a marathon of Keeping Up with the Kardashians with my sister all afternoon shortly after my surgery. Jenny, David and I dozed in and out of naps while lounging on the couch, eating Sour Patch Kids and laughing at the ridiculousness that is the Kardashian family. It’s the little moments like that that make my heart happy.
- Pinterest was one of my saving graces this year. Who knew a little website could turn all my frowns upside down? From finding new recipes and inspiring quotes to adorable pictures of baby animals, Pinterest helped brighten my darkest days. How can you not smile at this?
- I got pregnant….It’s absolutely bizarre being able to say that after 3 years of not getting pregnant. And although the outcome was not what we had hoped, I still have a lot of joy just knowing that it is indeed possible for me to get pregnant. Sure, it might take another 3 years, but at least I know it’s possible and I’m going to cling to that as we move into 2013. What a blessing that little piece of knowledge is after such a long time of not knowing if it could even happen.
- Ride the Rockies definitely sticks out as a highlight! It was the last “fun” thing that we did before the chaos of me having 2 jobs ensued. We had the most amazing week traveling around Colorado. It was such a whirlwind of craziness. I am so stinking proud of David for finishing the entire thing and I’m so happy I was able to be his sherpa for the week. 🙂
- David and I gained a lot of perspective this year. A lot. Every turn we took, there was a lesson waiting to be learned. We learned a lot this year about each other, about living simply, about God’s provision and being appreciative for little things. We gained perspective on grief, faith, healing, hope, balancing life with work, and setting priorities. I’m not saying we’ve acted on all of this perspective (helloooo 60 hour work week that I’m still occasionally working), but we have at least had our eyes opened and our thinking challenged.
- My 2 jobs have been such a blessing! It has been incredibly difficult to balance both jobs, but I’m doing it! It has been a huge financial blessing to us…it helped us pay off hospital bills, helped us afford IUIs, medication and it helped us build our savings back up. My coworkers are a blessing, my boss is a blessing and I am grateful for the ability to work, especially when so many in our country are still looking for work. To be honest, I’m just proud of myself for being able to take all this on and still stay sane…(kind of) 😉
- And there are all the little blessings in between, like my sister getting engaged (probably my favorite 2012 highlight!), finishing up some decorating projects and painting projects, joining an incredible women’s Bible study, a girls trip to Steamboat Springs, finding love for photography again, discovering Birchbox, turning 30, and a handful of beautiful backpacking trips in the mountains.
No, 2012 was not what I hoped it would be. But it wasn’t all bad either. I love silver linings and this year was full of them. Next to every difficult moment was a blessing. In every bad day, there was still laughter and love. Hard as it was, I am thankful for 2012! 🙂