Been a while since I did one of these bad boys, eh?
- My precious little puppy niece, Lulu, is the current highlight of my life. I love her so much! We started an Instagram account for her (Luluthesquish is her name if you want to follow her) and she’s becoming quite a famous puppy. She already has almost 900 followers! Everyone loves BabyLu! But, I mean who wouldn’t love this little face? She is so squishy and happy!
(yes, she lets us dress her up in pajamas) 🙂
- We are heading to Kentucky in 4 weeks! David has a business trip in Lexington and we decided that we should probably do the Kentucky Bourbon Trail while he’s out there, so we’re staying an extra 4 days to run around and sample whiskey, do distillery tours and let David geek out over bourbon. He LOVES bourbon, so this is pretty much his dream vacation haha! He has done so much for me this year with my surgery, I wanted to do something special for him and this seemed like a perfect fit! He’s flying out a few days early for his conference and I’ll drive out to meet him. “Drive? Becky, why on earth would you drive 1,250 miles to Kentucky by yourself?” A few reasons….1) I’m afraid of the pressurization on airplanes. My flight home from L.A. after surgery was torturous and I don’t want to subject myself to that again until I’m 110% healed. 2) I love road trips (remember, I’m still contemplating becoming a long haul truck driver as a profession) 3)I can bring all my camera gear with me without worrying about it be damaged in flight. I hear Kentucky is beautiful in the fall!
- I started counseling a few weeks ago. I’ll never be one who is ashamed to pursue counseling, heck I have my M.A. in counseling, but I must admit that I didn’t think things would ever get to this point. And by this point, I mean to the point where I can’t seem to help myself anymore. It’s been 3 years. It’s time to stop thinking that I’m dying every time I have a stomach ache. PTSD from my ruptured ectopic pregnancy has slowly started infiltrating my life. To the point where anytime I have a stomach ache, I convinced that I must be I’m pregnant and dying slowly. I never though pregnancy would be something I actually worry about. So I’m doing EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) with a wonderfully gifted counselor, which is a really cool technique that uses both hemispheres of your brain to help you work through trauma. I’m a few weeks in and I can already feel things changing.
- I’m addicted to Bachelor In Paradise. This season just started and it’s already such a trainwreck. It’s my guilty pleasure this summer 🙂
- I officially got clearance from Nurse David to start hiking again 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 I promised him that I would start out with short, non-strenuous hikes and then work my way up. I am so excited! Hiking is one of my favorite things ever and I am so very very excited to get back to it! My doctors have cleared me physically, but David and I have been a little worried about the cognitive side of things…like what if I got out on a trail, suddenly became confused and disoriented and couldn’t find my way back? 4 weeks ago, that was a very likely possibility. But I’ve come really far in the last few weeks and I think I’ll be just fine! Can’t wait!
- I’ve been thinking a lot about overhauling my vegetarianism lately. Did you know I’m a vegetarian? It’s been probably 6 or 7 years now. I started because of some ethical issues I have with factory farming. But for a while, I held on to a “humainitarian” mentality that allowed meat if I knew it was raised humanely. I know, it sounds very Portlandia (please tell me you’ve seen this episode, it’s amazing). But honestly, I would much rather support a local farm that raises free range chickens than a corporation (I’m looking at you Tyson, Oscar Meyer, Jenny-O etc.) who perpetuates an awful cycle of unnatural and abusive practices in every manner possible. Don’t worry, I will spare you the gory details, but trust me when I say it’s really bad. At this point, I only eat meat 1x week at the most. But as time has gone on, I’ve felt compelled to just give it up completely. If I do though, I want to be more intentional and ensure my vegetarian meals are more than a simple afterthought for whatever it is I am preparing for David’s meal. Too often I wind up eating rice for dinner because I just didn’t have the energy to make myself a vegetarian dish. So my new challenge to myself is to find more vegetarian dinners to make myself. Just something that’s been on my mind lately. If any of you reading are vegetarians or vegans, I would love to know about any good blogs/cookbooks/websites that have good vegetarian recipes!